domingo, 25 de octubre de 2009

Let me go


She looked familiar to me but, where from?
- The…the n…the name is…-
- I think she´s trying to say something, listen.- I said.
- …the n…the name is…is Pe…Peter.- she whispered weakly, looking straight to her cell phone, which was being held in my hands.
My common sense told me to turn the device on, but I was soon distracted by the other keeper, who was talking behind me.
- Hum…Mike? I think we´ve lost her.-
No, she couldn´t be dead. Not as long as I was there.
- Let me…- I checked her pulse.- thank God, she´s only suffered a faint.-
She was bleeding all over her, how couldn´t she faint?! I remembered than, when it happened to me, I could barely breathe and I fainted right away. That was before I…I tried very hard not to finish that last thought.
- Mike? The ambulance has just arrived.- another keeper told me.
I was steering at her. She looked so little, but yet, so bloody strong! And courageous as well…I almost laughed at the thought of her being the kind of girl my brother would like. I couldn´t believe my eyes, such a young and lovely girl…How could anyone want to hurt her?! Was steeling something away from her worth having shot at her? Yet, I knew her, and I couldn´t seem to remember who she was…
As we were taking her to the nearest hospital, I remembered I was carrying her phone. I looked for the ´P´ on its agenda and went down through the names until I found the one that I was looking for. I almost had a meltdown: the phone number I had in front of me was my brother´s.
Of course I knew the girl who´ve had the accident, the same girl who was bleeding out next to me. I took a deep breath…It was the first time in many years that I was going to talk to him, and my Superiors knew all along how much I´d missed little Peter, how I´d wished for a second chance on Earth. I´d been so long…I wish I´d done things differently. But now, it was about saving her life. Peter had already lost a brother, I wasn´t going to let fate take his girlfriend away from him too. Before I could press any buttons, the phone was already calling him.
- Hello? Sophie?-
Clearly, his voice wasn´t as childish as I remembered, but that was normal. I did the math: he was about to turn 18 years old. Wow.
- Honey? Are you there…?.-
How I wished to tell him that I´d think of him every single day. How I wished to tell him I was watching over him. How I wished to hug him and tell him I love him. But sadly, I couldn´t do so.
- Sophie has had an accident. She´ll be in St. Hollies´ hospital. She needs you, so go as fast as you can.- That was everything I was able to say.
- Wait, what?! Oh my God…is she…is she okay?.- he was shocked, but it was easy to tell he´d been through this before.
- No, but she´ll be just fine. Don´t worry, okay?.- I was struggling for the words not to come out from my mouth.
- I´ve already heard that one…- he said – it´s funny though, you sound just like my br..-
I hanged up.
We left Sophie at the hospital and, then, the other keepers returned to the Superiors for another assignment.
I, instead, chose to walk my way through the streets. When I felt I couldn´t cope with it anymore, I hide under the biggest tree I found, trying to run from myself. And I did what I´d been needing to do since I died: to cry. Joy, sadness, hate, everything was mixed up inside those tears I had saved for so long. It was strange, almost unbearable. I couldn´t stop myself from crying, it was frustrating, and I couldn´t conceive how I could once think that I would never cry again. Suddenly, I noticed I´d started to vanish, and I was able to understand what was going on: my time between Heaven and Earth was finally over.
With tears of proud, I arise. I was becoming an angel.

2 comentarios:

  1. Mi primer cuento en ingles (y con muchos errores de gramatica pero lo que cuenta es la intencion :P)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. TE QIERO MUUUCHO! FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS

    ResponderEliminar